Kloe Tricot O'Farrell EU Policy and Advocacy Coordinator
Kloe joined Saferworld in 2013 as a Policy and Advocacy Assistant for the Small Arms and Transfer Controls and Rising Powers team where her work mainly focussed on European and international arms export controls and the Post-2015 Development Framework. In January 2014, she joined Saferworld’s Brussels-based EU advocacy team where she leads and coordinates policy and advocacy on conflict prevention and peacebuilding approaches at the EU level, with a thematic focus on conflict sensitive development, security and justice, peace and sustainable development, peacebuilding approaches to counter-terrorism as well as arms transfer controls. She also informs and supports advocacy efforts of Saferworld’s country programmes, including at the EU level, by providing advocacy trainings and through regular engagement with EU and international donor officials.
Before joining Saferworld Kloe worked at the Research and Information Group on Peace and Security in Brussels, where she wrote a comprehensive report on the implementation of the EU Common Position on the control of arms brokering. She holds a masters degree in International Relations from Université libre de Bruxelles and a masters degree in War Studies from Kings College London.
Issue areas/specialisms: Arms transfer controls in Europe, EU conflict prevention, ATT, Constructive alternatives to counter-terror & stabilisation
Geographical specialisms: UN, EU
Languages: English, French, Dutch, Spanish
Publications and articles:
- Counter-terror in Tunisia: job done or mission misunderstood?, 2017
- EU foreign policy risks fuelling displacement and terror, 2016
- The European Parliament called for an EU arms embargo against Saudi Arabia. Now what?, 2016
- EU arms exports to Saudi Arabia in the context of the war in Yemen are illegal , 2015
- The dangers of the EU's quick fix approach to migration, 2015
- Putting people at the heart of security: Reviewing approaches, exploring solutions: Meeting report, Saferworld, 2015
- Improving local security through better police-community relations, 2014
- EU reporting on arms transfers: calling for greater transparency, 2014
- Lessons learned: How NGOs contributed to the ATT success, 2013