People First: An Overview of Saferworld's Strategic Plan 2014-17
Saferworld has revised its strategic priorities for 2014-17. The new Strategic Plan sets out how we will work with our partners to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. At the heart of the plan is Saferworld’s underlying core belief that people should be at the centre of peace and security responses.
People First sets out five key Strategic Objectives for Saferworld in the coming years. These are to:
- strengthen people’s security and access to justice through the development and effective delivery of responsive, accountable and locally-appropriate security and justice
- challenge gender norms that cause and perpetuate conflict and insecurity
- reduce the impact of external drivers of conflict including weapons flows, illicit finance and militarised responses to security threats
- ensure international political, economic, development and security engagement in conflict-affected contexts is sensitive to conflict dynamics and contributes to sustainable peace
- promote peacebuilding processes and governance systems that are inclusive, fair, responsive and accountable and address the root causes of conflict.
The plan also contains a revised change model that sets out how our core actions seek to influence behaviour and help create what we believe are essential conditions for conflict transformation and peace.
Over the next three years Saferworld will continue to make investments in the organisation to promote quality, effectiveness and integrity across our work.
As well as reading the 12 page overview of the Strategic Plan, take a look at the detailed Strategic Plan (32 pages, including country overviews). Saferworld's Strategic Plan overview is also available in Chinese and Russian.
Date: July 2014
Language: English, Chinese, Russian
Together these strategic objectives connect development with security and justice, conflict prevention and peacebuilding processes at local, national and international levels.